WWI US Pilot Wing Sterling Meyer design
During the First World War no real standard wings existed for the US Army Signal Corp Air Service. Many wings were cloth but many jewelers made metal wings during the war at the request of pilots. The real wings were based on Special Regulation #41 issued on 15 August 1917 and were to be made on cloth with embroidery. But right from the beginning Pilots had jewelers make the metal wings because the cloth ones did not hold up to washing uniforms. The wings that are shown are a museum quality reproduction of wings designed by the N. S. Meyer Co. After the war this design was widely sold as a novelty item without the “US” letter in the center. This museum quality reproduction is made of Sterling Silver with the letters US gold plated.